The Taylor Institution has a rich collection of texts from major but also minority European languages.
Course participants have selected a range of texts which stood out to them for different reasons, whether because they were distantly related to the author, or because the text had a specific significance to them, or a special cultural significance.
In most cases, only an excerpt from each text is included, often with an explanatory note explaining why the text was chosen. They are offered as a window into the richness of the library's collections.
The following Treasures are available as Taylor Editions:
Dialogue entre un brahmane et un jésuite sur la nécessité et l'enchaînement des choses, by Voltaire, 1694-1778. Collection complète des Œuvres de Mr. de Voltaire: Mélanges de littérature, d'histoire et de philosophie. Geneva: Cramer, 1756, vol.4, pp.389-396. [V1756]Collection complette des œuvres de M. de Voltaire. [Geneva: Cramer; Paris: Panckoucke, 1768-1777], 30 vols, vol.14 (Mélanges philosophiques, littéraires, historiques, etc.), pp. 277-282. [W68] [SOLO]
- A shorte dictionarie for yonge beginners. : Gathered of good authours, specially of Columel, Grapald, and Plini [excerpt]. London : Henry Wykes , 1568. [SOLO]
- Il Tesoro / precettore del Diuino Poeta Dante nel qual si tratta di tutte le cose che a mortali se apertengono [excerpt]. [Venice] : s.n. , MDXXVIII. [SOLO]
- Primera, y segunda parte de la Araucana. En Anuers: En casa de Pedro Bellero, 1586. [SOLO]
- The Lusiad, or, Portugals Historicall Poem [excerpt]. [Translated from Spanish versions of the Portuguese of Luís de Camões.] London: Printed [by Thomas Newcombe] for Humphrey Moseley, at the Prince's-Arms in St Pauls Church-Yard, 1655, pp. 1-2.
Marito e moglie, by Federigo Tozzi. Opere. Firenze: Vallecchi, 1961, pp. 901-906 (with an English translation by Valeria Taddei.) [SOLO]
- Guide to Northern Archaeology [excerpt]. [Translated from the Danish of Christian Jürgensen Thomsen.] London: John Bain, 1848, pp. 25-27.
- Perspective Practical : or, A Plain and Easie Method of True and Lively Representing All Things to the Eye at a Distance, by the Exact Rules of Art. [Translated from the French of Jean Dubreuil.] London, Printed by H. Lloyd, and Sold by R. Pricke, 1672, pp. [un-numbered page preceding p.19 (left)]-22 (right).
- Tesoro De La Lengua Castellana, o Española [excerpt]. En Madrid, Por Luis Sanchez, Impressor Del Rey N.S., 1611.